What is Pick & Pack Fulfillment?
Pick and pack fulfillment is a type of eCommerce order fulfillment that involves the process of picking, packing, and shipping individual orders to customers. It can be an efficient solution for businesses looking to manage their inventory and ensure orders are shipped quickly and accurately.
In pick and pack fulfillment, each item in an order is picked from storage shelves or bins in a warehouse. The items are then carefully and safely packed into boxes or other containers. Finally, packages are labeled with customer information before being shipped via the chosen courier service or shipper.
The main advantage of using pick and pack companies is scalability – you can easily adapt it to meet changing demands without needing to invest in additional staff or equipment. This makes it ideal for small-to-medium-sized businesses that might not have the resources for larger-scale operations like warehousing and distribution centers (DCs).
Pick and Pack Process
Pick and pack fulfillment is a multi-step process involving picking, packing, labeling, verifying, scanning, tracking, sealing, taping boxes, weighing packages, preparing paperwork, and shipping out orders. It helps streamline every aspect of eCommerce operations – from order fulfillment to managing returns – so businesses can fulfill multiple orders quickly, with minimal errors. The pick and pack process can include:
- Order receipt and processing
- Inventory picking
- Quality control and packaging
- Shipping and tracking
- Returns and exchanges
The Benefits of Pick and Pack Fulfillment
Pick and pack fulfillment isn’t right for every business. But for some sellers, it’s a vital part of an effective eCommerce strategy. Whether you’re selling large or small goods, pick and pack companies offer customers the flexibility of regular stores, and sellers an accurate way of delivering products.
Some common benefits of using a pick and pack warehouse for sellers include:
- Efficiency: Pick and pack eliminates the need for collecting items from multiple storage facilities and allows everything to be done in one place.
- Cost Effective Fulfillment: Receiving, storage, and inventory management are all rolled up into one price.
Benefits for customers of pick and pack fulfillment include:
- Flexibility: Customers are not forced to only choose from prepackaged options and have the freedom to add products as they choose.
- Short Turnaround Times: Organized pick and pack management can lead to quicker shipping times and products reaching their destination faster.
Types of Pick and Pack
Several types of pick and pack services are available depending on your needs.
In-house fulfillment is provided by the company itself or its employees. In this case, a business must purchase or rent warehouse space to store inventory and hire staff to manage order processing tasks like picking, packing, labeling, and shipping orders. This can be a cost-effective option if you have limited resources, but be aware, it requires more time and effort than outsourcing fulfillment services.
Outsourced fulfillment allows businesses to focus on core operations while leaving order management tasks – like warehousing, inventory management, order processing (picking/packing/labeling), and shipping – in the hands of experienced professionals who specialize in these areas. Using an outsourced provider can save you money on overhead costs associated with running an in-house operation. It can also ensure that orders are processed quickly and accurately, without delays.
3PL (Third-Party Logistics) providers offer comprehensive solutions, including warehousing services and all aspects of order processing – like picking, packing, and labeling products for shipment according to customer specifications; tracking shipments; providing customer support; returns handling, etc. This makes it easier for businesses to outsource their entire supply chain operations instead of just one part, like pick & pack fulfillment alone. 3PLs usually charge fees based on volume, which can make them ideal if you’re a larger company looking for cost savings over time. 3PLs can offer substantial savings when compared to hiring additional staff members internally or renting extra warehouse space for storing inventory long-term.
4PL (Fourth-Party Logistics) providers go beyond what traditional 3PLs offer by providing integrated end-to-end supply chain solutions, including consulting services like strategic planning advice related to product sourcing decisions; transportation optimization strategies aimed at reducing overall costs associated with moving goods from point A – B; and IT systems integration, so data flows seamlessly between different departments within a company’s organization structure. This makes 4PLs perfect partners if you’re implementing complex global supply chains across multiple countries where local laws need consideration before setting up shop abroad etc.
How to Choose a Pick and Pack Fulfillment Service Provider
When choosing a pick and pack provider, there are certain factors to consider. Important things to think about might include:
- Experience level – how long have they been offering these types of services?
- What kind of technology do they use?
- Are they able to scale up quickly if demand increases suddenly?
- Do they provide 24/7 customer support?
These questions can help narrow your search so you can find the right partner who meets all your requirements, without breaking your budget.
Features are another essential concern. For example, automated processes can significantly speed up turnaround times.
Accuracy levels are critical, since mistakes made during packing could lead to future costly returns, eating away your profits.
Pricing structures must fit within your budget. Otherwise, renegotiations may become necessary, resulting in delays and unhappy customers waiting for your product.
Identifying your specific needs and goals is a critical part of the process. Think about the following:
- What type(s) of product you’re selling.
- How many orders do you expect each day?
- Do you need help with returns or exchanges?
Knowing what services you need can help narrow down potential providers that offer what you need.
Evaluating a provider’s capabilities and experience means looking into their experience in providing similar services. You should also seek customer reviews from other businesses they’ve worked for before making a decision.
Comparing pricing and contract terms between different companies allows you to select the one that offers quality service at an affordable price point without compromising on quality or efficiency. Be sure to read through all contract terms carefully before signing anything so there are no surprises later.
Why Use ShipCalm’s Warehouse for Pick and Pack?
- Accuracy: ShipCalm is proud to provide a high level of accuracy for all of our pick and pack clients. Boasting 99.7% accuracy and up for non-barcoded products with the use of barcodes driving this up to 99.9%
- Low Cost: ShipCalm offers an affordable solution for online retailers and more traditional retail logistics that require pick and pack.
- Bill of Materials / Kitting: In addition to orders that come with individual line items to pick and pack we ShipCalm also provides the ability to map master skus to individual items to be picked for that particular configuration.
- Support: Our team offers complete customer service as well as reverse logistics for returned items.
Get Started With a Quote Today!
Pick and pack fulfillment is synonymous with eCommerce and we have the skills and organization to get it done cost effectively and with accuracy. To get started, check out our services and prices below.
Get a custom price by giving us some basic information on your needs and a member of our team will get back to you!